The Eye is a vital organ in the human body, and the need for that organ will always be there. It is necessary to take care of your eyes, and whenever you are facing any issues in your eyes, you have to approach the person who has specialized in ophthalmology since they only know how to take care of your eyes. Students may dream of becoming an ophthalmologist, but they don’t know how to achieve their dream. Like other courses related to medicine, the ophthalmology courses also help the students specialize in vision treatment and disorders.
People should do heavy research before making any important decisions. More than one course is available to become an ophthalmologist, and you need to know about each one. Many people are not aware of the available ophthalmology course after the 12th and fail to choose the right one for them. Don’t get tension and worry after choosing the wrong course for you, and better spend some quality time learning about the available courses, eligibility and benefits of each course in ophthalmology. The top 5 ophthalmology courses after the 12th are listed below.
Top 5 ophthalmology courses after 12th
1. Bachelor Science (B.Sc) in Ophthalmic Techniques
Among the top 5 courses, the preparatory course for those dreaming about achieving in the Ophthalmology field after completing their 12th is a Bachelor Science (B.Sc) in ophthalmic technique. Technology has developed a lot, and there is a machine for everything, and you can witness many high-tech technologies for testing and treating your eyes. The Eligibility to get admission in this course is the student’s need to complete their 12th in science group with subjects like biology, Physics etc. And it is a most demandable course, so some institutes conduct entrance exams to filter the merit students. The student must require a minimum of 50% marks in 12th, and in some colleges and institutes, they will accept math as an alternative for biology.
Benefits of Bachelor Science (B.Sc) in Ophthalmic Techniques:
- After completing this course, the candidates have many job scopes with a high salary like Eye Doctor, Ophthalmic technician, assistant, clinical supervisor etc.
- After gaining 4-5 years of experience in ophthalmology, they can start their optical shop and even their private clinic.
- There is a chance to get employment in government hospitals.
- Chance to get an opportunity to work in hospitals of defence and railways.
- Gain more knowledge about all the technology used for eye treatment and diagnosis.
- A further level of research work in ophthalmology and vision-based technology will occur.
- It is the primary step to success in your career.
- The salary for those who completed this course will be more as it is a demanding and important profession.
2. Diploma in Ophthalmology
The next available course in ophthalmology is Diploma ophthalmology, and this course includes important medical lessons like anatomy, ophthalmic sickness etc., which are related to eyes. Generally, the duration of this course is only one year. Still, the terms of the studies may differ according to the institutions, and this course covered the diagnosis area. Refractive Errors and glaucoma are common eye disorders and diseases, and this has to be diagnosed by the Ophthalmologist. The students must pass the 12th with a minimum 45% mark, and they must study chemistry and physics along with science and math.
Benefits of Diploma in Ophthalmology:
- You can complete this course within a short period compared with other ophthalmology courses.
- You can get employed in many places like hospital administrations and centres, eye clinics etc.
- The scope of job for this course is also high such as Lab assistant, ophthalmic nurse etc.
- In both the public and private divisions, they can get job opportunities.
- The minimum annual salary package for the candidate who has completed this diploma in ophthalmology must be above 1.5 lakhs.
- The students will gain more knowledge in anatomy and diagnosis, where diagnosing the problem is an initial stage for every solution.
- Even in the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), you may have a scope if you completed this diploma in ophthalmology.
- You can start your private eye clinic after occurring the experiences for a minimum of 4-5 years.
- Mostly, for this course, there will be no entrance exams.
3. Diploma in Ophthalmic Technology
The best diploma certificate program for ophthalmology is Diploma in Ophthalmic Technology, and it is properly known as DOT. Each course will cover different topics and train the students in areas like ocular diseases, eye examination etc. The candidates who completed this diploma in ophthalmic technology can handle the vision defects well. The normal duration for this course is three years, but when you join this course after the 12th, it is only a two years course which can be completed so fast. To diagnose eye problems, some technologies and machines will be used, and the candidates with this course completion can make those machines to diagnose the issues in the eyes. The student must have a 50% aggregate mark in 12th, and the purpose of this course is to ascertain ocular health and deal with the patient with visible impurity.
Benefits of Diploma in Ophthalmic Technology:
- After completing this course, the candidate can effectively communicate the different healthcare topics.
- The cultural component of health care can be demonstrated as an awareness and appreciation.
- After completing the course, the students can attain a job in many hospitals undertaken by central and state governments.
- Even in private hospitals the jobs will wait for you when you complete the course in a reputed college or institute.
- Apart from hospitals, the students can get a job in research labs, military health services, nursing homes etc.
- They also can go to medical colleges and universities for a job.
- Because of being a specialization, they can enjoy job opportunities worldwide which will change their life.
- They will learn more about the technologies and machines and how to operate them effectively.
4. Master of Science in Ophthalmology
One of the best and few advanced courses in ophthalmology is the Master of Science in ophthalmology, and it is a full program for every student. Apart from the practical study of ophthalmology, this course focuses on the research areas. The duration of this course is 3-6 years of study, and there is an availability of full time and part-time for this course. The students will acquire deep knowledge from this course, and all they need is patience in learning. Research is an important component to grow high in any field, and the students will completely merge with research in each of their topics.
Benefits of Master of Science in Ophthalmology:
- The aspirant has attained more knowledge in ophthalmology through researches.
- The opportunities in multiple research institutes for jobs are more for those who completed Master of Science in OphthalmologyOnly for this course. The aspirant can get the chance of distance learning in ophthalmology.
- The MSc graduates can also get jobs in colleges and universities as lecturers, which has high demand in many colleges and universities.
- They can describe the basic epidemiology of the major blinding eye diseases.
- The MSc graduates gather information about eye problems and learn more.
5. Post Graduate Diploma in Ophthalmology
Just like post-graduation for the normal course, the diploma also has a post-graduation course, and that is post graduate diploma in ophthalmology. The students will learn medical and surgical concepts in physiology, anatomy and ophthalmic diseases. The information about the vision of the human Eye will be learned in this course, and the students will understand many topics to uplift themselves to the next level. The reflection and refraction of the concepts of vision will be understood clearly by the students when they learn this course. There will be a national and university level entrance exam, and only the admission process will take place based on that entrance exam. The eligibility for this course is the completion of MBBS, and a one-year internship is mandatory.
Benefits of Post Graduate Diploma in Ophthalmology:
- After completing this course, the graduates have a deep knowledge about recent advancements like investigative therapeutic procedures.
- It is just a two years or 120 hours course which is easy to complete.
- The graduate will gain opportunities for interacting with many specialists.
- You can complete this course online, which is convenient for many people.
- Even in the defence field, the P.G. diploma in ophthalmology can get a job opportunity.
- These graduates can easily apply for Ophthalmologist as a combined medical service to join the navy, army, or air force.
- The graduates can easily understand the geometric optics concept and properties of light when they complete the P.G. Diploma in Ophthalmology.
- It is hard to find low salary pay for those who completed a Postgraduate diploma in ophthalmology, and, surely, they will get high pay everywhere.
Day by day, the population in the world increases gradually, and the need for Ophthalmologists is increasing rapidly. The scope for this profession will never fall, and they are using various technologies and machines to diagnose the problem. It is necessary to choose the right and valuable course in ophthalmology. After finishing 12th, you need to consider the courses mentioned earlier and analyze their value and fees structure before choosing the particular course. It is a trending and essential profession in the upcoming medical field and is better achieved in ophthalmology by pursuing the correct course for you.